Monday 16 January 2012

Short eared owl

Having been to the Therfield / Sandon area twice since the new year I thought I would have another try today. We had seen the long staying great grey shrike on Saturday together with a peregrine giving a buzzard a very torrid time and plenty of other buzzards and red kites.
I parked up and walked to the spot I have permission to use from a good natured local farmer and settled down to wait. I saw a couple of buzzards having a little contre temps, and then the owl appeared from over the hill following a line of set-aside. Knowing that there were some birders nearby with a similar view, I sat quite still and it flew right over me and then turned and went back the way it had come and I took the record shot above. another thoroughly enjoyable afternoon, albeit a very cold one.

No comments: